Location(s): Peterborough and Long Sutton (United Kingdom)
Reports to: Registered Manager & Deputy Manager
Job Purpose: Under the general direction of the Registered Manager, Deputy Manager, and Shift Leaders, to work as part of the team to deliver a high standard of care and support which meets the individual needs of the children. To act as an appropriate role model, provide advice, assistance, and support to children and attend to their practical, physical, and emotional needs to enable them to address their difficulties and achieve their full potential.
24/7 Support UK Limited is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff, volunteers, and contractors to share this commitment.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Contribute to the provision of a safe and stimulating environment in which children can develop and mature.
- Support children by showing awareness of their individual interests and preferences, by introducing them to a range of different experiences and enabling them to make informed choices whenever possible.
- Provide primary care on a day to day basis according to the child’s individual needs and meet occasional needs such as health care appointments.
- Plan and organise activities daily as well as for special celebrations and festivals.
- To participate in holidays and a range of sporting and physical activities with the children.
- Work directly with all children in accordance with agreed individual programmes and strategies. For example, anger management, self-esteem.
- Manage behaviour in an assertive and positive manner and only, as a last resort, be able to safely restrain a child following appropriate training.
- Support children to gain the maximum benefit from education.
- Support children when they are transferring to other settings.
- Consult in a meaningful way with children and their families. Liaise and negotiate with other professional groups involved with children as required.
- Carry out domestic duties to ensure that the home is maintained to a high standard, including some cleaning, cooking meals, laundry, and redecorating.
- Work with shift leaders in preparing, reviewing, and amending care plans, risk assessments, maintenance of files, and other administrative tasks as required.
- Provide good communication, both written and oral. Maintain a record of the activities of the shift. Bring relevant issues to the attention of your line manager and colleagues.
- Adhere to the company’s policies, procedures, and team decisions. Implement and contribute to the development of policies and procedures when required.
- Help to plan the shift and ensure tasks are completed. Work co-operatively with colleagues to ensure the best service for our children.
- Previous experience as a support worker (1 to 2 years desirable), preferably within a childcare organisation / residential care or a semi-independent living, with an ability to motivate, support, and supervise others and possess effective planning and organisational skills.
- Experience in children’s safeguarding.
- Experience of empowering, working, and engaging with young people to achieve positive outcomes.
- Ability to communicate clearly and sensitively when talking to people. Good listening skills, great problem-solving skills, and the ability to adapt and act accordingly to situations.
- Good time management skills to be able to support the needs of multiple people.
- A Level 3 Diploma for Residential Childcare (England) is preferable, or a Bachelor’s Degree equivalent.
- Having a Full UK driving licence would be an added advantage, but not mandatory.
- You must have the legal right to work in the UK.
- You must ensure that safeguarding underpins every aspect of your practice, and that the safety of each child in the company’s care is paramount.
- You must report any practice that may put a young person at risk immediately to your line manager, or higher if appropriate as failure to do so will leave you in a position of equal responsibility for the incident as the perpetrator.
- Ensure that good safeguarding procedures and principles are always in place and applied consistency.
- To assist the registered manager, deputy manager, and shift leaders to ensure that you understand and implement the company’s child protection and safeguarding procedures.
- You will always provide a positive role model for the children and staff presenting yourself in a highly professional manner.
- Participate in training and take responsibility for your own personal development.
- Be well informed and have up-to-date knowledge regarding the support needs of the children in your care.
- All members of staff are required to undertake that they will not divulge to anyone personal and/or confidential information to which they may have access during their work.
- Participate in team meetings, supervisions, and annual appraisals in accordance with company policy and the standards set by the Regulatory Body.
- To undertake any other such duties as required by the registered manager, deputy manager or shift leaders, commensurate with the grade of the post.
The job description sets out the duties of the post at the time it was drawn up. The post holder may be required from time to time undertake other duties as may be reasonably expected, without changing the general character of the duties or the level of responsibility entailed. 24/7 Support Limited reserves the right to amend this job description as and when required to meet the needs of associated regulations, company policies and procedures, and business needs.
Residential Support Worker Job Description 2022- updated 14 September 2022